in thoughts...

Saturday, January 24, 2004

Chinese New Year.... Watched Band of Brothers!

Still coughing... sheesh... I swear it was getting better... I mean, it is better... it's just evolved a bit... hee... into a less serious cough but coupled with weird nose that leaks ONLY in the middle of my sleep to clog up my throat. Oh well. That's not stopping me from eating new year goodies. Hee.

FINALLY took the time to watch all 10 episodes of BAND OF BROTHERS. plus the documentary. LOVED EVERY BIT OF IT.

I watched it alone. And I'm glad. If my bro watched it with me I'll probably bomb him with a question every 2 minutes. Like the stereotypical 2 year old irritating inquisitive younger sibling. Ok, fine, I'm 20, not 2. BUT I still do that to him when we watch stuff together. Hee. Like football. I think I must have asked him at least 10 times what "offside" means. Hah. I think I got the gist of it. I think. Don't ask me.

Anyway. Band of Bruders. hee.. I figured out what OP stands for - Observation Post. AWOL sounds very much like sneaking out of the hospital to join your brothers back in combat when you're still not officially ok - you need some paperwork to settle that. And I knew what "flanking" is about even before this show. hee. I'm unnecessarily proud of myself. haha...

I finished all 10 episodes and I was watching the documentary part - behind the scenes and stuff when my bro sat down and asked me, "Got cry or not?"

Okie, I dunno why, but this cry thing about me and my family is weird. When I was young my ma, my sis and me will watch those Qiong Yao shows which is supposed to make you cry helluva lot. Which I didn't. I would just hand out tissue to my ma and sis. So my ma always say I cold-blooded. Hah. Anyway over the years I got more emotional and sentimental and not so "act-cool-dun-cry" and I'll just let the show bring the tears if they're any good at that. But still my bro will ask.

So I looked at him, thought he was asking if I cried while watching the documentary and I said no. Later it occured to me he meant the whole thing. Oh well.

He shook his head and said, "This is what women won't understand. Brotherhood."

I did cry at some parts. I can see the brotherhood among the men. But I don't dare say for a moment that I know what brotherhood is about. I don't think you can know this kinda thing just by watching a show. You've gotta go through all that training, all that near-deaths, all that actual deaths, all that risking of self to help another - to get a glimpse of what that's about.

but my bro doesn't talk about army. and I don't really ask. was watching the documentary part, and children of this veteran said that they didn't even know about the veteran's role and what he did in the war - they didn't even know he killed people. It's another part of his life. And maybe it is too, for anyone who goes into army or into combat - to keep that part of the life separate - and to keep your civilian life as it was. Many of the veterans found it hard to go back to civilian life because everyday they're reminded of something that happened in the war. To have a life to return to - that's what you need. Whether you really are ABLE to return to it completely, as you were before the war - now that's a different question. To have that life as it was offers you an option, to really go back to that life is about ability.

watching it reminded me of "Regeneration" - my lit book for JC. reminded me of Nelly as well - my lit teacher. Cool lady. Loved her and her lessons. And all those themes in the book - brotherhood, reasons for fighting the war, whether the killings were justified, young boys not even old enough to buy cigarettes enlisting to fight and die, the officers being like fathers to men their age... so many things...

Again, I was very excited to hear snatches of German conversation during the series. Excites me to no end. Still I needed subtitles. ;)

so many issues in that. was talking to Kavi that day - she said she loved wars, as in reading about them, watching shows on them, learning about them. Me too girl, me too. But more than anything (the tactics, the strategies, the turning points of each battle) I love to watch the people and their bonds. The Brotherhood.



posted by Sodium-squared at 1/24/2004 08:20:00 PM

<< Home