in thoughts...

Saturday, November 08, 2003

Your mind makes it real...

Heh... This is my 50th blog entry... Yah, I actually went to count.... haha... can't believe I actually had so much crap to say...

As this is a "milestone" of sorts, this entry shall be what I think is more typical of my style - act chim buay chim... MUHAHAHAH....hmm, this is in reaction of SY's comment that my style has changed recently... dun feel any change leh, just that now I add in more of my daily activities... must let people know more about my mundane life mah, since no paparazzi will bother to report on mine... haha...

Since I'm gonna catch Matrix Revolutions on Monday (YAY YAY YAY!!!), will write something related to part of its concept. I'm taking a module called Industrial and Organizational Psychology, and someone posted over the forum some quotes from Matrix:

Neo: I thought it wasn't real.
Morpheus: Your mind makes it real.


It just happened that my own forum submission had a little to do with this. Certain countries and companies practise what is known as "affirmative action" - where members of certain minority groups or protected groups will be actively recruited and considered for selection in employment. And so there is the term preferential selection, where if let's say there is one vacancy left in the company, and there are 2 candidates A & B, with similar qualifications, if A belongs to a protected group, the company employs A rather than B.

The thing is, there is some stigma attached to accepting preferential selection. The thinking goes like this: if you need to depend on affirmative action to get the job, that means they didn't exactly employ you based on ability, and therefore, you are probably a cut below the rest, ie, not that good lah...

There was a study done on this, where they led people to believe they had been selected for a program based on preferential selection, even though some of them were not beneficiaries of affirmative action. These people ALL inferred, that other people who knew they had received affirmative action, will see them as being less competent.

From there, 2 reactions occurred:
1. The "beneficiaries of affirmative action" succumbed to "expectations" and performed poorly.
2. The "beneficiaries of affirmative action" worked harder to make a good impression and to "disprove" negative expectations. This happened when they were confident of their ability.

And so, it doesn't matter what reality is really like, it's how you perceive it, AND THEN, how you react to it.

Give me the Red Pill anyday, and I'll show you how I react.


An afterthought and added NOTE:
It's really true that your mind makes it real.
See my entry "Discovery..." on 2 Nov 2003.
I realised the "dried scallop" in Old Chang Kee's curry puff was a chunk of chicken meat.
I am SORRY.
It was dark and rainy and stormy when I was eating the curry puff, I felt cold and miserable, and I suppose I wanted nicer stuff than potato in my curry puff, plus lousy eyesight, the result is the delusion that I saw dried scallop.
Dang, it even tasted like dried scallop. See? THE MIND MAKES IT REAL!!!
I apologize if I had caused any undue mad dash to buy Old Chang Kee's curry puff for the "dried scallop" in them.
And NO, I was not paid by Old Chang Kee to give false information to boost sales.
From what I see, they're earning well, and anyway, not a lot of people access my blog anyway.

haha....
posted by Sodium-squared at 11/08/2003 06:29:00 PM

<< Home