in thoughts...

Friday, May 21, 2004

i think i really really wanna do this... :)

gosh. went to kk for observation yesterday and it was amazing. really occupied my whole time there observing cases (only a short lapse where there were no cases for me to observe, so S popped me over at Physiotherapy to observe a while.)Saw a total of 3 different Speech Language therapists at work, and all 3 ladies have different styles of working, but wow, they're really good. my new idols. and the thing about them is that they're so NICE and FRIENDLY!! made me feel totally at ease, and if the SLT i was following didn't have any case for me to see, she'd ask around to see if the others had any for me to observe, so that my visit was really worthwhile. and they would ask from time to time if i had any questions, and they are always so willing to answer all my questions.

and the thing about kk - was all the kids. hee. they're really really cute, all of them. working with kids means you might get short attention span, tantrums, easy fatigue, but the SLTs were really great with games and ways to keep their attention and interest. lesson taken home - it's not what game you play with them, it's how you do it and what your goals and aims are - sometimes it doesn't even have to be a game, and they'd be interested all the same.

couldn't go up with them to the wards because of kk policy, but wow, the outpatient cases were fascinating enough for me. tho S did say that the words had some cases that i would have wanted to see, but oh well. oh and i got to see some VFS(videofluoroscopy) on both days of my observations! COOL! it's basically a moving X-ray thingy, where they film how the patient swallows, to check for problems, and think of how to rectify or improve the situation.

lecturer emailed me to check again that i'm not a shared major btw psych and english, cos one guy at first said psych major then now clarified he's a shared, so now he's eligible for the internship. dang. i've half a mind to convert into a shared too, but that means i've to do extra modules cos i've already spent 2 UEs on german. that probably means 6 modules in each of my year 3 semesters, which will honestly kill me. and i think i wanna take basic malay next sem, think it'd be useful not only in daily life, but cos if i really wanna do speech therapy, quite some patients in the wards (esp the older folks) speak malay. and i should try to learn dialect properly as well. haha.such a hopeless case in dialect. haha..
posted by Sodium-squared at 5/21/2004 10:00:00 AM

<< Home